[SPARCbook] Sparcbook 3 - Nomadic Computing Environment for Solaris 2.6?

chase rayfield cusbrar2 at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 28 21:50:33 CST 2010

@Michael I figured you might see the link to your blog heh.

>I wrote most of that code - we have acceleration for both the console

>and X, you can run X in 24 bit and all 16bit PCMCIA cards that NetBSD
>supports otherwise should Just Work ( I used a Lucent 11b card for a
>long time ), very basic power saving and so on.
>There's one problem though - the SPARCbook 3 has a slightly different
>graphics chip than the 3GX ( Weitek P9000 vs. P9100 ) and since all I
>have is a 3GX I couldn't really add support for the P9000. I don't
>know if there are more differences in the hardware, probably not a lot
>though.

The lucent cards can be had pretty cheaply too I almost
got a powerlite 50 and was checking the prices on wifi cards but the
shipping acrossthe country  for the laptopwould have been insane so
someone else ended up getting it... still looking though obviously.

<snip>
>That was Opera 7, years ago, on a 3GX with 64MB RAM. Don't even try
>with any less than that and more recent versions of Opera don't
>support Solaris/SPARC anymore either.
Didn't you mention that the 8.x realeses worked as well?
They are acutally dropping Solaris altogether with 10.5 I believe.
I was rereading your blog and noticed this on the opera unix page.