[SPARCbook] Tadpole Viper IDProm

der Mouse mouse at Rodents-Montreal.ORG
Sat Aug 21 19:58:27 CDT 2010

> I contacted Tadpole for help and here was their response:

> "In order to enter/correct the serial number of your Viper, you would
> need to the be provided with a key code.  This is confidential and we
> are not permitted to provide this externally.

Yeesh!  That's ridiculous.  Pure customer lock-in money-grab.

Tadpole just lost the goodwill their making of second-source SPARC
machines had gained them from me.

It might help to turn on any setenv variables that look
debugging-related and reset the machine.  On the SPARCs I've worked
with, one of them - fcode-debug? I think it is - causes a whole lot
more words to appear in the openboot FORTH engine.  While their having
removed the idprom access words does not bode well, there is some
chance you might find something useful there.

/~\ The ASCII				  Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML		mouse at rodents-montreal.org