[SPARCbook] Tadpole Viper IDProm

Gary Borgen Old gary.borgen at verizon.net
Sat Aug 21 14:23:50 CDT 2010

I recently repaired a non-posting Tadpole Viper by  resoldering several
dozen connections on the memory sockets.  During the repair I was forced to
remove the NVRam/IDProm battery to get to some of the connections.  As a
result, the Viper now posts to an IDProm error, "The IDPROM contents are
invalid", with an invalid MAC address and serial number/Host ID all zeroed
out.

The Openboot PROM version is 4.9.

Apparently, Sun removed all IDProm access commands from OBP versions 4.X, so
none of the faq's available on the Web work to set the contents of the
IDProm.  With a Sun system you now have to purchase a new IDProm Chip, for
about $50, if it goes bad or the battery dies.  The Chip on the Viper is a
surface mount device, so it is not replaceable without removing the battery
first.

I contacted Tadpole for help and here was their response:
"In order to enter/correct the serial number of your Viper, you would need
to the be provided with a key code. This is confidential and we are not
permitted to provide this externally. IF you wish to return your unit to the
US office. Provided this is all that is required this service will be
carried out at a reduced fee of 165 USD."

Anyone have any ideas before I bite the bullet and send it to Tadpole for
reprogramming?