[SPARCbook] Sparcbook experiences from new list member

Julian Coleman jdc at coris.org.uk
Thu Jan 29 05:45:57 CST 2009

Hi,

[Sparcbook 3]
> A battery stick can be built from 10 AA-size nimh cells,

I have pulled my battery apart and was thinking about replacing the cells
with standard AA cells.  Looking at:

  http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=31427

it should be possible to make a 10xAA holder from two of the 6AA Battery
box (long) and solder the connectors from the original circuit board to it.
With any luck, it will all fit back in the original case too.

> Sparcbook external battery pack:
> I got hold of one of these with good cells and it works o.k.

I have one of these and it did work at one point.  However, if I connect
it now, my S3GX won't power on.  I need to look more closely at it to work
out how to open it without destroying it ;-)  It should be possible to
replace the batteries in this too.

As I have a disk sled with the SCSI-IDE adapter, I am considering replacing
the IDE disk with an IDE-CF adapter and a CF card.  The adapters are about
#2.50 now and 8GB of CF is #11.  It might be a bit slow, but the SCSI-IDE
adapter doesn't seem very fast anyway.  It should also help the battery
life ;-)

Thanks,

  My other computer also runs NetBSD    /        Sailing at Newbiggin
        http://www.netbsd.org/        /   http://www.newbigginsailingclub.org/