[SPARCbook] Sparcbook experiences from new list member

Mike Hebel nimitz at nimitzbrood.com
Wed Jan 28 11:45:37 CST 2009

On Jan 28, 2009, at 11:43 AM 1/28/09, Michael wrote:

> Another question. My Ultrabook came without disks ( I got just an
> empty sled without the adaptor board ), a usually reliable source told
> me that the sled design( or just the connector, not sure ) was
> borrowed from 'some Dell laptop'. Any ideas about that?
>
> I asked RDI about that too. They said they still have plenty in stock.
> It took them a week to tell me the price and when you see it you'll
> know why they still have plenty. Try not to laugh:
>
> EXTRA 20GB REMOVABLE DISK DRIVE FOR ULTRABOOKlli
> U-20.0HDD  $991.80
>
> What on earth are they smoking?

They're smoking what's called "End of life parts and we are the only
source."  It is also combined with "We cater mostly to government/
military entities that bought this stuff and they _must_ support it
rather than replace their legacy apps.".

It's a heady combination and one that is expensive to maintain...

--
Mike

In the end the journey only matters if you've helped someone along
the way.