[SPARCbook] Sparcbook experiences from new list member

Bill Bradford mrbill at mrbill.net
Sat Feb 14 01:20:55 CST 2009

On Sat, Feb 07, 2009 at 12:31:20PM -0500, Michael wrote:
> > I'm *still* annoyed at having run ads for Tadpole back in '03-04 and
> > not getting a single thing out of them in return because they got
> > bought out.  Oh well.  It's been almost five years, guess I should get
> > over it.
>
> Is that even legal? Or rather, wouldn't the new owner have to pay up?

Nope.  There was no formal contract; it was a "gentleman's agreement", as
is done for most (all) of the ads I run on SunHELP.  For example, I run
O'Reilly conference ads in exchange for books, and other ads in exchange
for software or occasionally hardware.

I don't (never have, never will) run the site as a business or to make a
profit.  Google ads bring in about $30/month, which is enough to take the
wife out to dinner to make up for the time I spend working on the site.

The reason I started the site, and the reason it still exists twelve years
later, is to help people.  The occasional "thank you, you helped save my
day", friends I make through the lists, or purchase from my Amazon Wish
List makes up for all the days of HTML/PHP hacking, searching for solutions
to questions that people have sent in, or telling kids "Sorry, no, I won't
do your Java homework for you". 8-)

Bill

--
Bill Bradford