[SPARCbook] Sparcbook experiences from new list member

Bill Bradford mrbill at mrbill.net
Sat Feb 7 01:32:17 CST 2009

On Wed, Feb 04, 2009 at 11:46:07AM -0500, Michael wrote:
> Too bad Tadpole/RDI/General Dynamics doesn't. I made it absolutely
> clear that I'm not some government agency that doesn't know where to
> stuff its cash. Maybe I should wave the NetBSD flag a bit more, after
> all they do use NetBSD internally.

Ten years ago when the big batch of 3GX systems hit the market from Herman
Miller's upgrade, I called up the then-local Tadpole office in Austin,
about obtaining a part or two that I needed (power cable?  Ethernet dongle?
something like that).  The geeks there were amazed that a 25 year old "kid"
had a 3GX.  I stopped by the office a couple of days later, and they BSed
with me a bit and sent me home with all sorts of goodies, including the
part I needed and a complete set of manuals, at no charge.

Unfortunately Tadpole has been sold and bought and sold so many times since
then, that corporate culture and way of thinking is long gone.

I'm *still* annoyed at having run ads for Tadpole back in '03-04 and not
getting a single thing out of them in return because they got bought out.
Oh well.  It's been almost five years, guess I should get over it.

Bill

--
Bill Bradford
Houston, Texas