[SPARCbook] PS for Ultrabook

stephen price sd_price at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 14 10:59:48 CST 2008

Hi Richard
I think, imho, that you may be setting yourself for a
failure.

>From what I remember, the U20 is strictly an 18v
machine & does bad things running under voltage.

Also - at power-up it uses just about every amp it can
find - and then curves down to about 5amps nominal.

So using undervoltage or trying to use less amps is a
bad idea - strictly my opinion - you understand...

As far as trying to repin the plug, the power supplies
I used, (something like the url I sent previously) are
all properly grounded 3 wire plugs, with the output
coming out 5 leads - so that matching the lemo
connector pins to the output wan't much of an issue.

The caveat being that the guage of wire that the lemo
connector uses is very small compared to the guage of
wire coming out of the brick - so I pre-soldered the
lemo with small guage wire - then cut off the plug
from the brick and mated the 5 wires from the brick to
the 5 wires I presoldered on the lemo connector.

Worked like a champ, even doing the battery charger
signal correctly (that's identified as one of the 5
pins on the lemo connector).

I hope that this helps...

regards
steve