[SPARCbook] A tricky hardware question

Michael macallan1888 at gmail.com
Sat May 7 07:21:59 CDT 2005

Hello,

I'm working on NetBSD's support for SPARCbook 3 hardware right now ( we
have acceleration support in both the console and XFree now, PCMCIA is
almost there, DBRI audio is worked on... ) - but what I'm missing ( and
what Tadpole's Technical Manual is silent about ) is the microSPARC II's
low-power/standby mode.
Under Solaris the SPARCbook cools down nicely when idle, under NetBSD it
doesn't. Turning off the disk doesn't help, mine doesn't get very warm.
According to the microSPARC II manual the CPU can be put into low-power
standby mode by putting a signal on the Standby pin, so the question is
- does Tadpole indeed use this pin? If so - how can I turn it on ( in
the idle loop for instance ) ? Did they recycle another bit in the AUXIO
register? Or is it in AUXIO2? Or is it handled by the microcontroller?
If it's handled by the microcontroller I'd need a way to tell it that
the CPU is spinning in the idle loop instead of doing real work.

have fun
Michael