[SPARCbook] Power problems

Borgen_Gary gary.borgen at verizon.net
Thu Apr 15 17:04:05 CDT 2004

Liam,

Matthias' idea is probably a good one.  However, since the battery voltage
is not that well regulated in the first place, you should be able to use
your existing Tadpole power supply directly.  Just wire in a matching
connector and away you go.

The Tadpole series uses multiple DC-DC converters to derive system voltages
and charge the battery.  I have personally fixed a DC-DC board in a SB3 (it
uses a separate board for power, where the SB3X series have the power
supplies integrated onto the main board).  It wasn't pretty.  Almost every
mosfet was blown along with an inductor and several DC-DC controller IC's.
Before I rebuilt it, it smelled like a cheap cigar when I plugged it in.
There are no fuses.

The mosfets for the DC-DC's are in SOIC8 packages - Siliconix 9410 and 9430
(or equal).  The DC-DC controller IC's are Linear Technology LT1148-X.X
(where X.X is 5.0, 3.3, or adjustable).  The coils are surface mount
Coiltronics CTX units.  Download the datasheets.  Measure the mosfets for
shorts (should be a fairly high/consistent impedance part to part).  If you
find a short replace the mosfet.  Measure the coils for opens (most probable
in your case).  If open, replace with an equivalent part.  If you find a
shorted mosfet, you should also replace the LT1148 associated with it as
well.

Good luck.