[SPARCbook] Sparcbook 1 questions

Joe Schmittlein jschmittlein at amcc.com
Fri Oct 3 12:46:53 CDT 2003

 Hi,

A couple things to note:

The SB1 does not have scsi.  It uses IDE disks.  It has no way to attach
external drives (except a special floppy).

The memory is not user upgradable.  You need to
swap the cpu board.

The display in the picture does not look correct.  It looks like someone
tried to swap in
a SB2 display (I may be completely wrong on this).

It may be a fun project, but you can occasionally get a SB2 or SB3 for
similar money.  Either is
much more usable.

My input, for what it's worth....
Joe

William Barnett-Lewis wrote:

  Hello all,

  I noticed this sparcbook on ebay
  http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3433669668&category=42199

  Would this be a decent place to start for rescue/repair? I note it
  would
  need a disk, an ac adaptor and new screen (though I also note
  twmaster
  has a color screen available).

  What type and size of drive does it take? I have an IBM 1 gb 2.5"
  SCSI
  if it's that.

  Is there a special version of the OS for this machine? Is it and/or
  patches available anywhere?

  Is the RAM to boost it to it's max of 32mb available?

  Any advice gladly recieved.

  Thanks!

  William
  --
  REGIME CHANGE STARTS AT HOME... Wesley Clark for President
  http://www.clark04.com/