[SPARCbook] Solaris/SunOS on RDI Powerlite

ML ml at rz.uni-potsdam.de
Wed Mar 19 01:37:01 CST 2003

Hello,

> 	I've got the mentioned ``Sparcbook'', an RDI
> Powerlite 110, i.e. about a SPARCstation 5 in a laptop.
>
> My question:
> 	Which versions of SunOS/Solaris would run on this machine?
> Or should this just be treated as a plain std. SS5?
Solaris 2.6 shouls usually be fine - not as memory hungry as newer versions
( depends on your memory, if you have 64MB or less I't stick with 2.6 if it
must be Solaris ) and not as weird as the older ones. To answer your
question - any Solaris that supports the sun4m architecture should work.
That includes anything between SunOS 4.1 ( or earlier ) and the very latest
Solaris 9 ( which won't install if you have less than 96MB ).
On the other hand - the PowerLite is bog standard (read SS5) hardware from
the OS' point of view - you should have no problems at all runnimg Linux,
NetBSD or OpenBSD, any of these should perform at least on par with
Solaris.
Or if you feel adventurous - try to find a copy of NEXTSTEP for SPARC, it
should work on this machine and CDs appear on eBay now and then. I'd have
tried it myself but it won't run on my 3GX ( unsupported framebuffer,
PCMCIA, mousestick and so on )

have fun
Michael