[SPARCbook] ram upgrade on a 3gx

John Appleby john at dnsworld.co.uk
Sat Jul 26 12:35:46 CDT 2003

> Since when does Solaris 9 work on the 3GX?  Did Sun include drivers
for
> it?
>
> Federico, far as I know, if you go to Solaris 9 on a sparcbook 3gx,
you
> won't have Xwindows, mouse, power saving features, sound, etc....
careful!

I'm not aware of a P9000 driver for Solaris 9... you certainly won't get
any power saving features. I'm fairly happy with Solaris 2.6 5/98.

All you need to make sure you get is low profile (1" max) Parity FPM
RAM. I went down my local computer shop and got 2x32Mb matched Kingston
memory for about $20. Part number KTC1481/64.

Crucial claim to have them here:

http://www.crucial.com/store/listparts.asp?Mfr%2BProductline=Tadpole%2B&
mfr=Tadpole&cat=RAM&model=SPARCbook+3&submit=Go

at $39.99 each, which doesn't sound like much of a deal to me. It also
looks like the wrong type of RAM, since Sparcbooks like parity. Oh well.

MemoryX's 32Mb modules look good but the 64Mb modules are a no go (32
chips).

Regards,

John