[SPARCbook] Tadpole packages and patches

Liam Liam1f at blueyonder.co.uk
Tue Jul 1 15:27:38 CDT 2003

Hi,
     my current project is a Sparcbook 3tx loaded with Solaris 2.6 5/98. I
have only just got this machine and installed the OS myself on a 4.6 Gb hard
disk.
   After initial problems, (I used the same PC 'AT' power supply with 'cut and
shut' extended wires that I have used on my Sparcbook 3. It is rated at 6A and
I have happily used it to power the SB3 and a huge great Seagate ST41601N on a
SCSI cable with no problems. Fortunately I recognised power problems from the
SB3tx as being similar to when I used a 1400mA power supply on the original
SB3. ie.screen flicker and not finding the hard disk with 'probe-scsi'), I
gave it a better power supply and another reload. I saw the link to Netsys for
Tadpole drivers and patches in the last mailing list digest. And had to have
them!
   After downloading these files, I have uncompressed them by GUI,  untar'ed
them by GUI and installed the packages by Admintool, and the patches,
individually, by Patchadd. Now, I either haven't installed them properly
(although it said all the right things!) or I don't know how to use them! I'm
assuming that typing 'TADman' will give me a Tadpole manual. Should it? If
not, what will? I have also just realised that, while my webbrowser is now
Netscape, not Hotjava, the AnswerBook 2 docs don't work. Is this a PATH
problem? I run as root, and the only way I know of changing the PATH is by
editing /.dtprofile. I'll play with that but any info would be really
gratefully recieved.
   I have disk of Tadpole Solaris 1.1.2 which I have had installed, but, like
the chicken and the egg, I don't know how to connect to another computer with
it, and it hasn't got it's own webbrowser. I know there must be a way of using
it, but I don't know what it is!
   Just to finish, I have dismantled a series 2 battery pack to discover 10
Sanyo HR-AU rechargeable batteries. From what I can gather, these were/are the
best batteries of this size ever made. Ever. Has anyone had any luck with
replacement batteries?
   Many, many thanks for any help. I'm determined to get this sorted out and
any advice will be really appreciated.

                                               Cheers, Liam