[SPARCbook] Video Problems on Ultrabook

Michael Thompson m_thompson at ids.net
Sat Dec 20 00:41:10 CST 2003

Based on recommendations from this list I bought a VHDCI<->Ultra-SCSI cable
on ebay. It was a Sun cable and only cost about $15. I booted Solaris 6
from the CDROM that came with the machine. It saw the 12 GB disk as 8 GB.
Solaris 6 runs fine as long as I don't run Openwindows. There seems to be
some problem with the graphics driver. Yesterday I booted and installed the
Feb 2000 version of Solaris 8. The OB FLASH was already at 3.1.8 so I don't
need an update. I had to run diags on the disk to erase the VTOC so I could
relabel it to 12GB. The standard Openwindows version of the installation
works just fine. Today I will install the Tadpole software and bring the
Solaris patches up to date.

Thanks for all of the help!

Michael Thompson
E-Mail: M_Thompson at IDS.net