[SPARCbook] Video Problems on Ultrabook

Paul Douglas paul at douglasfamily.au.com
Sat Dec 20 00:41:10 CST 2003

>I have an 200 MHz Ultrabook, now with vanilla Solaris 6 installed in the 12
>GB disk. I haven't installed any of the Tadpole/RDI packages or patches yet.
>
>The LCD display works fine on power up and during the first part of boot.
>As soon as Openwindows comes up the LCD is unreadable.
>
>I plugged a Sony/Sun 19" monitor on the external video connector. I tried
>1152-mon and 1024-mon and in either case the CRT is unreadable. If I do a
>1152-mon and boot Solaris I can see and move the mouse pointer but the
>remainder of the display is unreadable.
>
>The system has the Radeon video chip, not the Creator-3D.

same here with same machine, but Solaris 8 works "straight out of the box", lcd
no problems and external monitor too (only tried after installing tadpole
software).  I found trying to boot Solaris 9 just caused kernel panic.
Likewise, patching S8 to run mozilla (the sun package), so my advice is "don't".
 (The mozilla package from sunfreeware works fine but seems to lack a lot of
functionality).  Finally, the tadpole patches don't install properly on S8 and
you have to do it manually, though this was easy enough.

incidentally, you have to have obp 3.1.7 or 8 and tadpole say this will only
boot disk >8GB.  That may be true but if you install the OS on a large disk and
then use ufsdump or whatever to copy it to a smaller one, that boots fine.

Paul