[SPARCbook] Ultrabook I Power Supply Question

John Altstatt jea at altstatt.com
Sat Aug 9 21:58:28 CDT 2003

Paul Douglas wrote:
> I know this topic has had various airings so apologies if this has been asked
> before...
>
> I have recently acquired an Ultrabook I.  It doesn't have a power supply, memory
> or hdd (I didn't pay a great deal!).  Before worrying re the latter 2 I'd like
> to get a power supply fixed up so I can test the unit.  I know it's very
> unlikely that one will turn up on ebay and that a genuine part is v expensive.
> Even if I eventually decide to buy a tadpole one, I want to get it all up and
> running first.
>
> I have seen a mail saying that a non-standard power supply capable of delivering
> the right volts/amps will work.  That presumably requires a suitable plug: does
> anyone know where one is available (by mail order)?
>
> I presume the answer is "no" but does anyone supply a non-oem adaptor, like
> those available for most standard laptops?
>
> The unit does have a battery so I could test it by charging that: it wouldn't
> matter if it didn't hold its charge for long.  Any suggestions for how to
> charge?  I presume a trickle charger would do it if I knew the pin config on the
> battery.
>
> Finally, I've seen a mail re an older sparcbook also using an 18v supply.  Is
> this similar enough that it would run the ultrabook?  They are sometimes
> available on ebay.
>
> Many thanks
>
> Paul Douglas
> paul at douglasfamily.au.com

Paul;
There should be a label on the bottom of the unit which states the required
voltage and current. For instance, the 3GX label says 12DC, 4.6A . A 12V DC power
supply with a current capability of at least 4.6 Amps will work fine in this
case.
By thw way, the current requirement is for both running the computer and charging the
battery at the same time.

As for the connector, I think Ian Spray may be able to tell us what it takes. If it is
one of the commonly used circular types, they are available from several sources,
including Mouser Electronics. I'm looking at page 547 of their catalog.(DGS DC power plugs)
Try this:
http://www.mouser.com/index.cfm?handler=search.listcategory&Ntt=*DGS*%2b*power*%2b*plug*&terms=DGS+power+plug&Dk=1&D=DGS+power+plug&N=0
Just measure jack and choose the mate. For the 3GX, it looks like a 171-3225 is the mate.

However, since I don't have an Ultrabook in front of me, the above is speculation.

Describe the power jack.

Best Regards,

John Altstatt