[SPARCbook] (more) linux install troubles

Wm. Josiah Erikson josiah at insanetechnology.com
Fri Sep 13 23:22:29 CDT 2002

FWIW, I'm running a 2.4.19 kernel on my Sparc 5/110, and it works great -
it's never crashed or done anything odd yet since I built it (a few days
after it came out)
Just saying that 2.4 kernels do work on something other than i386 :)
	-Josiah

On Thu, 12 Sep 2002, Michael Lorenz wrote:

Hi there,

>I managed to get debian installed, but they use a 2.2-era kernel,
Yup, so do most recent distros ( or at least they ship a 2.2 kernel with a current one ), 2.4.x seems to be rather badly broken on any but x86, couldn't get any 2.4.x to boot on my ppc - 2.2 is fine.

>anyone have a "favorite" kernel for using their sparcbooks?
NetBSD supports power management, serial, the usual Sun stuff ( kbd/mouse/scsi/ethernet ), the internal modem ( more or less... ), drivers for PCMCIA and audio are well under way. No ISDN yet
so I'm stuck with Solaris 2.6 which works a lot better than I expected ( after upgrading to 64MB ... ).

>While I'm at it, what is the status on X for these things?  Is it
>still restricted to 8bpp unaccelerated?
On NetBSD - yes. On Linux - you need a 2.4ish kernel, that gives at least more colors, no idea about acceleration.

have fun
Michael