[SPARCbook] Re: Start-from-scratch full procedure for PCMCIA ethernet card?

Chris Powell Chris.Powell at zarlink.com
Mon Jul 22 04:14:15 CDT 2002

On Thu, 18 Jul 2002 12:55:40 -0400, Rich Kulawiec wrote:

> I'm pretty sure that I have a supported card: but I *can't* plumb
> the interface because I don't have the entries in /dev or /devices
> to support it. (*Why* I don't have them is another issue: I certainly
> never deleted them, but OTOH this is a used machine, so perhaps someone
> else did...or perhaps they never existed.)

I tried this over the weekend on my SPARCbook 3GS running Solaris 2.6 (with
a fairly recently patch set). I simply inserted a 3c589B card, the
/dev/pcelx devices were made automatically (by the PCMCIA daemon). I could
then plumb the interface:

# ifconfig pcelx0 plumb

ifconfig -a subsequently reports the PCMCIA ethernet card.

I also tried a '3cce589et' card, this was totally ignored by Solaris.

So, if the card is supported then you just need to insert the card and
the devices get made automatically (assuming you have the PCMCIA packages
installed and working).

Hope this helps.

ChrisP.