[SPARCbook] Start-from-scratch full procedure for PCMCIA ethernet card?

Rich Kulawiec rsk at magpage.com
Tue Jul 16 12:53:38 CDT 2002

I've finally gotten a PCMCIA Ethernet card for my 3GX (Solaris 2.5.1).
And I've managed to figure out chunks of the procedure for making
it work...except that this machine apparently has no device entries
for the requisite driver!  Extensive searching (of this list's archives
and others, as well as many web sites) hasn't turned up this info --
which I suspect, when I find it, will consist of names and major/minor
devices numbers for entries in /dev and/or /devices as well as symlinks
between then.

So...my question comes down to: does anyone have a complete "how-to"
that starts at nothing (no /dev entries, no driver, etc.) and goes through
the whole thing -- plumbing the interface, assigning it an address, etc. --
because I strongly suspect that the missing /dev entries are not the
only problem I'm going to bump into and I'd like to make this work.

Thanks,
---Rsk
Rich Kulawiec
rsk at magpage.com