[SPARCbook] Help!

Robert Schaefer rschaefe at gcfn.org
Wed Apr 17 19:25:58 CDT 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "Mike Nicewonger" <twmaster at twmaster.com>
To: <sparcbook at sunhelp.org>
Sent: Wednesday, April 17, 2002 03:33 PM
Subject: Re: [SPARCbook] Help!

> on 4/17/02 4:33 AM, glb at xenon22.freeserve.co.uk at
> glb at xenon22.freeserve.co.uk wrote:
>
> > I recently received a Tadpole Sparcbook 2, with some version of Solaris
> > installed on it.  It no longer boots up, stopping with a message along
the
> > lines of "TOD clock not initialized check time/date".  I was wondering
if it's
> > possible to re-install it and what operating systems are compatible with
> > Sparcbook 2.
> >
> The problem you are having is not software but hardware. The TOD or NVRAM
> chip has died. Reinstalling the software will not fix this.

Is the "TOD clock not initialized check time/date" due to the dead TOD, or
is the the non-booting?  My SB2 gives the same error, but boots.  I managed
to get it to apparently hang immediately after giving the above error by
trying to set the date to the current date, but then I got it to start
booting again by following the directions to recover from a faulty
suspend-to-disk.

I do have a spare TOD clock, I'll try swapping that in to see what happens.
My SB2 doesn't remember the default boot file across reboots either.

> Mike N

Bob