[SPARCbook] Help!

Robert Schaefer rschaefe at gcfn.org
Wed Apr 17 06:15:08 CDT 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: <glb at xenon22.freeserve.co.uk>
To: <sparcbook at sunhelp.org>
Sent: Wednesday, April 17, 2002 04:33 AM
Subject: [SPARCbook] Help!

> I recently received a Tadpole Sparcbook 2, with some version of Solaris
installed on it.  It no longer boots up, stopping with a message along the
lines of "TOD clock not initialized check time/date".  I was wondering if
it's possible to re-install it and what operating systems are compatible
with a Sparcbook 2.

I ran into that when I got smart and tried to set the clock to the current
date.  IIRC it started to boot again after I booted with `-hs' flags.  From
what I've seen on the net, the SB2 is *not* Y2K compatable, there are
firmware issues that must be addressed.  I haven't looked into it yet, as
I'm all out of Copious Free Time just now, but I plan on doing something
about it.

A NetBSD-sparc CD wasn't bootable by the SB2, but it might be possible to
boot NetBSD over the network-- I haven't tried that yet.

> Sorry if this has been asked a thousand times before...

I didn't find a whole lot about the SB2, but check the archives from ~fall
2000.

> Thanks,
>
> Geoff.

Bob