[SPARCbook] Anybody still use this list?

Mike Nicewonger twmaster at twmaster.com
Mon Apr 15 15:00:43 CDT 2002

on 4/15/02 4:37 PM, Super-User at helsod at algonet.se wrote:

> However the Powerlite is supposed to run Nexstep out of the box.
> Acoording to some old usenet postings some people were using the
> Powerlite for just that reason ("and its black too!!").

The PowerLite uses a stock TGX framebuffer so since it is basically an SS5
it should work quite well.

> I have been thinking about getting one of these Powerlites for Nextstep.
> I might get a used
> NeXT 3D plastic logo from Ebay and glue it on the front somewhere. It
> will look like a NeXT laptop :)

Hehe I like it :)

I have a pile of PowerLite 110 MHz machines I need to go through and check
out.

> I think maybe the Nextstep for Sparc doesnt do to well on the Ultra I'm
> currently using, it may not have any Creator 3D driver...

NS will not run on the UltraSparc CPU. 4M only.

I have had nice results running NS 3.3 on HP 9000 712 series machines too.

Mike N