[SPARCbook] Sparcbook 3GX -Upgrade

Rodolfo Segleau sparcbook at sunhelp.org
Thu Sep 6 08:55:09 CDT 2001

Dennis,

The hard drive issue is not as bad as you might think. The
1.2GB drive on the 3GX can be switched out for an IDE
notebook drive (2.5" standard), but you will need to
purchase also an IDE to SCSI converter. It's been awhile
since this topic was actively brought up, but IIRC a couple
of guys here did it with an IBM notebook drive.
As for Solaris 2.7, unles you're willing to drop the ~$400
for the Tadpole distribution, then you should be content
with 2.6. Please note that NCD (GUI) packages were taken out
from Tadpole's version of Solaris after 2.5.1. Tadpole has
not released the Sparcbook specific patches for Solaris 2.6,
so unless your applications *require* 2.7, I would recommend
to stay with 2.6.
As for the memory, if you just subscribed to this list, then
you have the posts about memory expansion. Officially,
Tadpole supported upto 64MB (which is what I have on my 3XP)
with standard SIMMs and 128MB with customised SIMMs. Refer
to Hugo's FAQ on sunhelp.org about this.

Cheers,

Rodolfo

- There are some that call me . . . . Tim.