[SPARCbook] What is the Max Ram for 3GX....???

Ian Spray sparcbook at sunhelp.org
Wed Sep 5 04:41:46 CDT 2001

On Wed, 05 Sep 2001 05:28:06 -0400
Thomas Roehr <troehr at nj-onramp.com> wrote:

> I thought the technical specs from the manual had the memory IO addresses as
> 256MB IO, 256MB memory? Time to fire up xpdf and re-read the specs...

That won't help - I said I was unclear about the electrical side, but I
can say for sure that if you want to run Solaris with 256Mb of RAM, you'll
need the changes that were made to the S3000 OBP and the kernel/boot
loader or the RAM won't be there for you (and Save & Resume will not
function either).

Of course, if you're running NetBSD then all bets are off (but I still say
that OBP will mis-report 256Mb of RAM, which may or may not be a problem
depending on how much notice *BSD takes of OBP's mappings).

--
Ian Spray          :  Software Engineer     :  Tadpole-Cycle
iws at tadpole.co.uk  :  +44 (0) 1223 428 224  :  http://www.tadpole.com/