[SPARCbook] What is the Max Ram for 3GX....???

Ken Hansen sparcbook at sunhelp.org
Mon Sep 3 14:35:33 CDT 2001

In the past, 128 Meg kits were priced at $1500 for
SPARCbook 3 series laptops. That is new from the Mfg.

The price of a refurbished 128 Meg kit from Tadpole is
unknown, nor do I know if any are available (doubtful,
IMHO).

There was a SPARCbook 3000 (I think) that was able to
take 256 Meg RAM, it used the TurboSPARC CPU nad had a
bigger screen (12.1") - it achieved that large RAM
Qty. by having *two* memory banks, each of which could
take a standard 3 series 128 Meg Kit.

You can not *stuff* 256 Meg of RAM in a SPARCbook 3GX
without *severe* hardware hacking, of they type that
would *probably* render your laptop no longer
portable.

There are exactly two SIMM sockets on the system, the
densest RAM the vendor offered was 2x 64 Meg "double
capacity" custom SIMMs, resulting in a 128 Meg
SPARCbook 3 series laptop.

For $1000 to $1500, it becomes cheaper to deploy
numerous SS/5-170 at common locations (home, office,
cabin, trunk of car... ;^)...

Ken

--
 Miles Nordin <carton at Ivy.NET> wrote:
> Wasn't there a service program where you could send
> your SB3GX to
> Tadpole, and have the memory increased to 256MB for
> ~US$1000?  I'm
> not sure where I heard this---the FAQ only talks
> about 64MB.
> Supposedly Tadpole would disassemble the machine and
> solder two
> more SIMM's onto the board.  Or was this just in
> some crazy alcoholic
> dream I had five years ago?
>
> Anyway, the point is that price goes up dramatically
> after 64MB, but
> where to buy or how much $ I don't know.

=====
Ken
n2vip at yahoo.com