[SPARCbook] Taiwan-made ultrasparcbook

Miles Nordin sparcbook at sunhelp.org
Sat Sep 1 13:48:53 CDT 2001

On Sat, Sep 01, 2001 at 11:57:35AM +1000, d neal wise wrote:
> apple makes great laptops.  you must just generally dislike apple :)

They do things like release mysterious firmware updates that make an
impossible-to-define group of RAM stop working and prevent alternative
operating systems from booting.  This sort of shennanigans is really
hard to keep track of, and wastes a lot of time.

This is in contrast to the Sparcbook 3 which does crazy things like
charge a 12-volt battery with a 12-volt power supply.  This sort of
attitude _does_ make my life easier when things break:

 http://sakima.ivy.net/~carton/manila/tadpole-dcin-hack.jpg

Besides, I like the feel of junkiness and desperation.  My
Sparcbook, although a great machine, doesn't get used much because
(after spilling milk on various keyboards three times) I've decided that
laptops should be disposable and have removable hard drives.