[SPARCbook] Re: 3000XT PCMCIA cdrom problem

Jason King sparcbook at sunhelp.org
Tue Nov 20 13:44:37 CST 2001

------=_NextPart_000_0009_01C171D1.E0837660

Ok, I appreciate all the help I got with this question but now have a =
new one related to the orignal reason I posted the previous message.  =
Instead of using the pcmcia Panasonic external cdrom w/ card, I bought a =
cable and tried to reinstall the OS again.  Since I still ran into =
problem I thought perhaps the cdrom is just bad and replaced it with a =
external sun 411 cdrom and set it to scsi id 6.  Now, I can "boot cdrom" =
and the Solaris installer starts up and goes to the point that it wants =
to format and setup partitions where it then can not find the ide hard =
drive and quits.  I tried with Linux Mandrake, RedHat, Suse and NetBSD =
and all these OS's end with the same problem of not recognizing any hard =
disks.  Does anyone have any ideas on this problem?  Can I boot the =
machine, drop to a prompt and then mount the cdrom and start the solaris =
installer that way?  I have tried to do it this way with both the =
panasonic cdrom and the 411 cdrom and can't seem to mount either, maybe =
it's in the syntax.  Can someone post a example to try?    Tadpole makes =
mention of this problem with single ide drives in thier Ultrabook line =
but don't mention how to get around it. =20

Jason King

------=_NextPart_000_0009_01C171D1.E0837660

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Ok, I appreciate all the help I got =
with this=20
question but now have a new one related to the orignal reason I posted =
the=20
cdrom w/=20
card, I bought a cable and tried to reinstall the OS again.  Since =
I still=20
ran into problem I thought perhaps the cdrom is just bad and replaced it =
with a=20
external sun 411 cdrom and set it to scsi id 6.  Now, I can "boot =
cdrom"=20
and the Solaris installer starts up and goes to the point that it wants =
to=20
format and setup partitions where it then can not find the ide hard =
drive and=20
quits.  I tried with Linux Mandrake, RedHat, Suse and NetBSD and =
all these=20
OS's end with the same problem of not recognizing any hard disks.  =
Does=20
anyone have any ideas on this problem?  Can I boot the machine, =
drop to a=20
prompt and then mount the cdrom and start the solaris installer that =
way? =20
I have tried to do it this way with both the panasonic cdrom and the 411 =
cdrom=20
and can't seem to mount either, maybe it's in the syntax.  Can =
someone post=20
a example to try?    Tadpole makes mention of this =
problem with=20
single ide drives in thier Ultrabook line but don't mention how to get =
around=20
it.  </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2></FONT> </DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Jason King</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0009_01C171D1.E0837660--