[SPARCbook] SPARCbook 3GS battery pack dismantling

Douglas Landau sparcbook at sunhelp.org
Thu Nov 15 02:05:26 CST 2001

On a 3GX, there is a disc which plugs one end.  I had
one fall out so I suspect it might be worth trying to
dissolve the glue with chemicals or pop it out by
accelerating and then quickly decelerating it.

I got another disc out recently.  I did not try chemicals
and gave up on decelerating it without fabricating
a holder, since there is not much area on the end against
which to slam it to decelerate it without covering the
disc itself, and preventing it from coming out.  If you
had a length of a 1-1/2" inside diameter steel tubing
which had one end capped, and a drill press, and opened
a hole in the cap to 1-1/4", then the deceleration would
work like a charm, no question.

Lazy, I didn't do the fabrication.  There is a tab of plastic
sticking out of the disc which only permits the pak to be
inserted in one orientation.  I gambled by grabbing the tab
in a pair of pliers and tugging.  Luckily it came out intact.

Come to think of it ... immersion in hot water might work
beautifully.

dl