[SPARCbook] 3000XT PCMCIA cdrom problem

Matthew Haas sparcbook at sunhelp.org
Sat Nov 10 09:14:44 CST 2001

Good morning!

Not a solution to the problem by far, but may help with diagnostics:

Is there an OpenBootProm word available to scan for attached "PCMCIA"
devices? probe-pcmcia or some such thing???

As it is a PCMCIA CD-ROM and NOT a SCSI one, "boot cdrom" simply should
not work because the OpenBoot alias (type devalias to see) points to a
SCSI device on ID6.

Now I just re-read the original message... you still talk of "ID6" which
tells me that we do not know all the hardware at play here-- what type of
PCMCIA card is being used? A SCSI PCMCIA or a PCMCIA interface to CD-ROM
card??

If it is a SCSI card granting a regular SCSI bus to attached devices,
then you've still got to find the OBP path to this PCMCIA "SCSI" device
before you can boot off of it... Most, if not all, of the standard
devalias OBP aliases point to SCSI devices on the SPARCbook's main SCSI
bus. So to boot from anything else you've got to create your own alias or
type out the long string every time:

boot /iommu/sbus at 0x08000000/sd at 6,0:b

actually... that creates another question--- where exactly do the PCMCIA
slots "attach" to the system? Are they "sbus" oriented? Which "slot"...

I have a SPARCbook 3GX, so the systems hopefully will not be too different
from one another in this respect. Next time I have it fired up I may poke
around... but would appreciate any pointers to these questions.

And as for the ORiNOCO wireless PCMCIA drivers... if no drivers have been
released or written, I doubt they would be gotten to work... these cards
seem to be significantly different from even the old "WaveLAN" cards which
they are descended from... but I know that the Linux and FreeBSD camps
seem to have these working, so maybe checking out the pcmcia-cs package
and various kernel mods would be useful.

Good luck!

-Matthew