[SPARCbook] 3000XT PCMCIA cdrom problem

Jason King sparcbook at sunhelp.org
Fri Nov 9 22:48:43 CST 2001

I hope someone will throw a new bone for me to try with this problem being I
have manually looked through almost all posting's to this list from end to
start (1997? wow).  I am can't seem to get my sparcbook to see a Panasonic
KXL-D740 pcmcia cdrom.  I bought the machine from a "pc" shop (as is) and
promised that if I ever got passed the password then I would wipe the
machine.  25 minutes out of the shipping box (20 to warm up) and the
password was changed.  *Note* only set root password the same as host name
if you are a open and diverse person or security is not a problem you worry
about.
	Next step, I obtained the working cdrom drive as the machine did not come
with one.  The machine came with a "Release Notes" pamphlet  for Solaris 2.6
from Tadpole which mentioned this exact cdrom drive so it seems like a no
brianer.  Wrong.  I tried "boot cdrom" and got "can't open boot device".  I
tried changing the "time-out parameter" as instructed in the book but still
"can't open boot media".  I know that the scsi id is set to "6", and I have
tried it in both slots.  I didn't want to post anything if I could find a
answer and everything that I have found so far seems to work specifically
for connecting scsi cdrom's and not pcmcia cd-roms.  Any help would be
appreciated, thanks!

Jason King