[SPARCbook] 12G drive, but only 8G seen

Helena Söderholm sparcbook at sunhelp.org
Thu May 31 06:22:01 CDT 2001

Hi!

I can report that I have managed to install a 12G IDE drive with Solaris 2.6 5/98. Only 8G of the drive is seen though. I guess the limit is not 6G, at least not for my SCSI converter. Its irritating to lose 4G, still 8G is plenty of room.

I had some problems with the install but I think the problem was really that the / partition was 2G (because Solaris puts everything in /opt I make / quite large). I changed this partition to 1.8G or something and it worked, but I tried a bunch of other things including entering 14 cyl instead of 16, purging formatting etc. but I think none of that worked. (based on some earlier posts and guesswork)

I now need to download the patches. Do I really need all of them in the FAQ with 5/98. It comes with a separate CD to patch up earlier versions of 2.6 Maybe the Tadpole stuff is on it. Does anyone know?

Best regards,
Peter