[SPARCbook] Tadpole 3gx tweaking

John Kiniston sparcbook at sunhelp.org
Wed May 9 18:14:04 CDT 2001

Howdy!

I just got a Tadpole 3GX from work and I'm hoping to make it into a useful
portable machine.

The system works and is defect free other than having a broken foot on the
bottom, I installed Solaris 2.6 on the system along with the packages
recommended in the FAQ and I have a working system.

What I'm hoping to do is get the system set up to run as a workstation with
decent speed.

I've changed a lot of the Sxx scripts in /etc/rcX.d from S to K in the
hopes to improve memory leaving the system kind of confused,

I get a bunch of inetd problems:

	rstatd/rpc/ticlts rpcb_set: not started
	walld/rpc/ticlts	rpcb_set: not started
	100221~
	10068~

I'm hoping to stop whatever is causing these messages to spew to the
console, I disabled S71rpc which is what I think these are looking for but
not what they are starting from.

I must say I am impressed by this system, as memory starved as it is it
still manages to run openwindows with the things I have become accustomed
to on my desktop:  IE 5 , Real player 8 (Audio is OK, Video doesn't do
much) Windows Medial Player and Netscape 4.7

I've stopped using CDE as nice as it was it was kind a large on the memory
foot print and replaced it with BlackBox which is a WM I've used under
Linux in the past after a little trouble setting a LD_LIBRARY_PATH in my
.bash_profile to allow BlackBox to get the libraries it installed under
/usr/local/lib

Any suggestions would be welcome.