[SPARCbook] patch your sparcbooks!

Jonathan Kalbfeld sparcbook at sunhelp.org
Tue May 8 14:15:54 CDT 2001

My Sparcbook running Solaris 2.6 was rooted the other day by the most
recent internet worm.

Specifically, look at your /.rhosts file and your /etc/rc2.d/S71rpc file
and remove the first line from it.  You might have a bunch of crap in
/dev/cub and /dev/cuc directories.  This is evidence of the worm.
/dev/cuc contains the actual scripts and /dev/cub contains the hosts being
attacked from your machine.

Also, you might have a process running with "inetd -s /tmp/.f"

This launches a root shell on port 600.

I simply did a mkdir /.rhosts and removed the first line of
/etc/rc2.d/S71rpc and rebooted the machine while it was airgapped.

This should solve the problem.

Then, edit the /etc/inetd.conf directory and disable sadmind (who the hell
uses this anyway? :) and restart inetd.

Also, check any other solaris machines running <8 and look for a root
shell on port 600 and + + in your rhosts.  Sometimes those two are present
but the actual worm is not present.

Best of luck.

jonathan

--