[SPARCbook] Zip drive with parellel to scsi2 converter?

Matthew Haas sparcbook at sunhelp.org
Fri Mar 23 11:14:27 CST 2001

On Thu, 22 Mar 2001, Michael M Delaney wrote:

> Has anyone here tried to use a zip drive with a parellel to scsi2
> converter?  Anyone have any idea if I could boot of off it?
> Mike

I have a Zip 100 plus drive with the autodetect cable... my SPARCbook
(running NetBSD) picks it up just fine. The only caveat is that it looks
like NetBSD isn't taken an immediate liking to the disk labels on the Zip
disks if not properly formatted (a proper disk labelling by NetBSD
resolves this problem).

Nice and quick... and I use it with the DB25 -> DB50 adaptor, on a chain
of 4 other SCSI devices and it both works and is quick.

 -    |||       Atari 8-bit!  Star Wars * SPARCbook 3GX * SUMMER!!    -
-     |||HOLLY*400/800/XL/XE  Battlestar: Galactica * SPARC * Linux    -
- |  | | |  | 2600/5200/7800  NetBSD1.4.2 * StarTrek * Galaga * SCSI   -
 - ||  |  ||     Lynx/Jaguar  Star Raiders * Descent * Voltron * UNIX -