[SPARCbook] Serial cable and dos emulation?

Helena Söderholm sparcbook at sunhelp.org
Thu Mar 15 01:48:36 CST 2001

I dont know about the basic stamp, but on a related note I might add that I tried Keils 8051 integreated developement IDE on WABI. It actually seemed to work exactly as it should. This is an environment with integrated 8051 simulation, including interrupts and peripherials. The WABI manual says serial ports should work but you need to set read write rights for the user on the /dev/cu/a or whatever your using. I guess its about the same in DOS emulation, depending on which emulator you use. Is there one included with Solaris 2.6.? I found WABI in my Solaris 2.5.1 package.

(As an embedded programmer I find the notion of using basic for any embedded work quite revoulting. You might as well use the Bourne again shell or something, except real time systems arent scripts, you want event driven programs that utilise interrupts and timers, and built in peripherials. This is especially true with a very small system. But those basic stamps are kind of neat, if you could just program them in c instead.)

If you could find a way of removing the basic and programming the device directly there is gcc for the most common processors, including 8051 and AVR and a few more.
If the PIC is supported I'm not sure, but most any embedded compiler can be run in DOS with Borland make or such which could be started from Emacs quite nicely with the right DOS emulator.

Peter