[SPARCbook] Review Project X

Matthews, Jack sparcbook at sunhelp.org
Mon Mar 5 15:27:02 CST 2001

Ok, Yes it may be a little off topic but I think people are interested in
getting some of this information as these sparcbooks are not that expensive
and networking them is well...... you know, required. Thanks for the
opportunity.
Now here is what I have from you guys so far;

 I need a router or switch. Netgear 308 may be best for me. I need a hub or
swith hub combo. It needs to do subnetting. By the way there looks to be an
ISDN connector at the rear plate of my Sparcstation 20 There is also an
ethernet hub looking card at the rear with four ports. I don't have a manual
for it so I'm guessing.I have one public IP only.
Will this suffice or do you think I still need the switch still?

I am bringing all cable down to the lower level for wall jacks. So only one
level needs wiring.
I need a firewall. I think best is the SS20 for this as the Colbalt qube 2
has one ethernet jack only.
Then to run CAT 5 cable to the sparcbooks as clients.
I have heard that the sparcbooks don't like to be mobil if the NIS+ is setup
on them?
However, isn't NIS a great thing from solaris 2.6?
Maybe there is a work around?

Great help from you chaps.

Jack