[SPARCbook] Core Dumps in 2.6

Michael Lorenz sparcbook at sunhelp.org
Fri Jun 8 05:55:15 CDT 2001

Hi there,

>I have an unending love/hate relationship with dtfile in Solaris 2.6. I
>love the way it displays information; I hate the fact that it crashes and
>dumps the core whenever i try to do anyting the remote bit complex --
>like  dragging a file from one window to another.
>
>Although it is aesthetically-challenged, at least Open Windows' filemgr
>doesn't crash.
>
>Other than using filemgr, anyone have suggestions? i am not a diviner of
>core dumps, but perhaps I could learn.
Well, CDE was the first thing I banned from my 3GX.
When you really want another file manager theh try these:
XFCE, a kind of 'CDE lookalike', with launchpad, file- and window manager. See www.xfce.org.
Try gentoo, a gtk+ based Norton Commander like tool, ask your favorite search engine since I don't have a link at hand. i remember there as an
application list on the gtk+ site...
You may have a look at KDE and GNOME, both are far too bloated for my taste, but so is CDE... both of them come with a file manager.
And there is mc, or Midnight Commander. Looks like Norton, acts like it. You may want a color xterm or rxvt for it..

hope that helps
Michaal