[SPARCbook] 802.1x; Memory Upgrades on 3GX

John Appleby sparcbook at sunhelp.org
Thu Jul 5 20:01:58 CDT 2001

> If the AUI cable/transciever is really a problem, you
> could always go out and get a low-cost 3Com 3C589C
> (maybe even a 3C589D) PCMCIA ethernet adapter (for
> less than $20 in most cases) and ditch the
> cable/transicever bundle.

Good point, I have a whole pile of those in the cupboard... It's just =
neat that it has inbuilt ethernet, I can get over that. Wireless would =
be really neat though, but not neat enough to pay Tadpole for Solaris 7 =
and take my chances with 802.11b there :)

> I think you really want to be on Solaris 2.6 w/Tadpole
> packages & Patches, as well as Sun patches - it is a
> nice setup, IMHO.

Does this allow you to keep the niceties that NCE provides, like easy =
setup of interfaces and swapping from internal to external displays? I =
mean, I should probably start to learn Solaris well enough to manage =
those things from the console, but it makes my life easier in the short =
term.

Thanks,

John