[SPARCbook] RE: [SunRescue] NetBSD 1.5 CDROM

Matthew Haas sparcbook at sunhelp.org
Thu Jan 25 19:32:19 CST 2001

On Thu, 25 Jan 2001, Ken Hansen wrote:

> I guess once I bolt in my new CD-RW in my PC I'll have to try the .iso
> image. One other question - heat/power management, are they addressed in
> NetBSD 1.5 for a SPARCbook?

Power management is a little better... still a ways off... (I'd still
stick a fan close if I were compiling a kernel, but regular X usage...
even with Mozilla, albeit a little pokey, seems to pull through just
fine... now if I could only get better battery life...)

Another interesting little tidbit- I downloaded ALL there was to be of
NetBSD 1.5 for SPARC (base system + packages, source, etc. etc.) and I
managed to fit it ALL (including bootable ability) onto 700MB media- image
came to around 697MB... It comes in handy to have everything on one CD...
:)

Third little tidbit- more of a question: Has anyone played/has info on the
PROM's "words" command? If you type "words" at the ok prompt, you get a
list of ALL the available commands... descending into the device tree
(especially on the SPARCbook- under the obio I believe) gives a refined
list of "words" available at that particular device location, and I've
seen things such as PCMCIA-related things, as well as other nifty
goodies... anyone know the deal behind these?

 -    |||       Atari 8-bit!  Star Wars * SPARCbook 3GX * SUMMER!!    -
-     |||      400/800/XL/XE  Battlestar: Galactica * SPARC * Linux    -
- |  | | |  | 2600/5200/7800  NetBSD1.4.2 * StarTrek * Galaga * SCSI   -
 - ||  |  ||     Lynx/Jaguar  Star Raiders * Descent * Voltron * UNIX -