[SPARCbook] Quick sparcbook question

Ken Hansen sparcbook at sunhelp.org
Thu Jan 25 11:35:02 CST 2001

As Peter's "source," I had a chance to work with both my
3GX and the 3GS I traded with him, and I found there to
be very little difference in (subjective) "feel."

If you take either a 3GX or 3GS, cram as much memory in
them as you can (typically 64 Meg) and put a recent vintage
HD in the unit (my 3GX has an upgraded drive, one of the
$400 6.4 Gig IDE/SCSI drives), you won't see a real
difference, IMHO.

A 110 MHz SS/5 or 3GX is not the fastest machine around,
but is *quite* usable, mine is currently doing service as
a web server for my WML experiments, and occasional netscape
use - perfectly reasonable systems...

A 3GS would make a fine addition to your friends computing arsenal. ;^)

Ken