[SPARCbook] Re: CAn't boot

Michael M Delaney sparcbook at sunhelp.org
Mon Jan 15 21:26:08 CST 2001

> unh-huh.  come on, you know better.  Tell us the exact error, please---on
> at least one operating system, preferably all three.  Also tell us which
> Sparcbook you own.  This _is_ a sparcbook, isn't it?
>
> You might also post your dmesg output from NetBSD.  The NetBSD boot images
> include a shell prompt that, unlike the inferior install environments of
> certain other SPARC-aspiring BSD's SYSV's and mutants, functions as a
> fairly complete ``rescue disc''.  You might be able to capture the dmesg to
> a temporary file on the ramdisk, and then copy it over the Ethernet using
> ifconfig le0 inet 192.168.... netmask 0xffffff00, then ftp, or pax | rsh.
>
> Does it ``see'' the internal SCSI hard disk?  Have you considered doing an
> FTP install, and FTP'ing from another box which can ``find'' its CD-ROM?
> Have you checked termination?  What is the output of probe-scsi?  Have you
> used the CD-ROM on another box's SCSI chain?
>
> to recap:
>  describe environment.
>  present error message properly.
>  answer follow-up questions.

It is a sparcbook 3GX, unlike the guy with the thinkpad, I'm know to email
the right ML, unforutantly, thats about all. :)
I tried Netbsd 1.5 Beta (from 11/20 I think), Suse 7, Slackware's mini-iso
image, and netbsd 1.5.  No networking, I dont have the aui cable (yet).
>From the prom, I can probe-scsi, and it will find both the cdrom and the
hard disk, and the hard disk still boots netbsd 1.5 beta (had a little
partition problem, the partition with all the software on it is dead, but
thats a whole seperate issue i don't want to get into ...
I'm using "boot cdrom" on a 1.5 cd, the mini-iso thats sparc only, so I
dont have to worry about having multiple arch's on the cd.
	The First thing netbsd does is bring up a menu asking what media
to load the install files from (cd, tape, or floppy)  I choose 1, and it
asks me where to mount the cd from, with the default /dev/cd0a
I try that, and it says"
esp0: !TC on MSG OUT [intr 10, stat 82, step 1] pevphase 6, resid 4
cd0(esp0:6:0): Sense Error Code 0x60 at block no. 1536 (decimal)
mount_cd9660: /dev/cd0a on /cdrom: Input/output error"
Then it brings up the media select menu again.
from probe-scsi "
Target 3
  Unit 0 Disk	IBM DPRM-21215 | S61B7L4L282346H7076
		0796Oo5s36
Target 6
  Unit 0 Removable Read Only device   AIWA CR-ROM ACD-300 1.0d"

Possiblely worth mentioning is that the drive is a 1x, not sure if this
could make a difference or not.

Hope I gave all the needed info
Thanks,
Mike