[SPARCbook] Re: Can a SPARCbook 1 be revived?

Emanuelsson Paer sparcbook at sunhelp.org
Mon Feb 26 07:42:12 CST 2001

Hi Michael,

You are correct in assuming that the CD must be installed from
a boot server, as the SB1 prom monitor doesn't support booting
from CD.  Don't you have the SunOS release notes from Tadpole?
If not, I could try converting them to PDF or TIFF.  They contain
detailed installation instructions.

Furthermore it seems to be possible to upgrade the disk.  I've
tried using a (factory new) IBM 800Mb drive that I got cheap,
but the monitor hangs as soon as it tries to read the disk
information (physical configuration, partitions, don't know...).
The disk works fine in a PC notebook.
I haven't had time to research the problem, but Thierry Palmiero
<thierry.palmiero at laposte.net> reported that his SB1 works
great with a 1.6Gb disk, so it must be possible.  Thierry, if
you read this, maybe you could post the information on your
configuration to the list?  I haven't heard anything from you
for some time.

Regards,
Pell