[SPARCbook] Xsun problems with NetBSD (was: NetBSD-1.5 and SB3)

Miles Nordin sparcbook at sunhelp.org
Sat Feb 24 19:40:36 CST 2001

> NetBSD 1.5 (GENERIC) #1: Wed Nov 29 00:29:52 MET 2000
[...]
> p9000 at sbus0 slot 0 offset 0x100000 level 2 not configured

Please try the TADPOLE3GX kernel rather than the GENERIC kernel.  You
will have to build this kernel yourself---see

 http://www.netbsd.org/Documentation/kernel/#how_to_build_a_kernel

if you don't know how already.

Also, I thought of this in the shower this morning, but it is probably
not a problem since no one else reported it:

On my hpcmips machine, which is wscons-based, I had to change /etc/ttys
to start getty on /dev/ttyE0 (screen/keyboard) instead of the default
/dev/console (which becomes the serial port if the keyboard is
unplugged) before xinit and startx would work.  I don't think this is
necessary on NetBSD/sparc, but I usually use xdm so I don't know for
sure.