[SPARCbook] Linux and heat

sparcbook at sunhelp.org sparcbook at sunhelp.org
Sun Feb 11 11:09:11 CST 2001

On Sun, 11 Feb 2001, Miles Nordin wrote:

>   o people who use an older version of Linux, one suspect of causing overheating
>     because of trivial inexperience/hastiness bugs in their SPARC implementation,
>     are, as you say I implied, ``wrong and foolish.''

Vanilla Red Hat 5.2 didn't produce unbearable tempatures. I noticed as
much heat as I got from running solaris with CDE.

In both cases the units were active for several days, feet extended, no
additional cooling.

So you may be scared enough to run it. But as of yet I still need other
equipment to get my eggs fried. (The Toshiba laptop does do a better job
on frying egss in fact.)

Hugo.

hvdkooij at caiw.nl	http://home.kabelfoon.nl/~hvdkooij/