[SPARCbook] Free OS summary for Sparcbook

Thomas Roehr sparcbook at sunhelp.org
Thu Feb 1 14:25:05 CST 2001

>From: Miles Nordin <carton at Ivy.NET>
>Date: Thu, 1 Feb 2001 09:05:12 +0800
>To: sparcbook at sunhelp.org
>Subject: [SPARCbook] Free OS summary for Sparcbook
>
>Linux and heat:
>
>Linux continues to inspire me every time I brush with it, but sadly the
>Sparcbook news is moderately dismal.  It's not really a big deal, but
>here's the skinny.
>
>Several people have netioned in the past, Linux is a very bad choice
>because it does not implement any power saving features.  You are not
>excused from dependence on this brokenness just because you're plugged
>into an AC outlet, because Sparcbooks get hot, and this makes their
>owners' legs uncomfortable, or frightens them.

I have run the Linux 2.3.99-pre* kernels on my SparcBook 3GX for a month straight. The new kernel idle loop does not generate the heat problems of the 2.2 kernel. There is a 2 line patch for the mouse driver that I have and will post to Hugo for adding to the FAQ. I will also see if the patch is needed on the 2.4.X kernels.

Tom Roehr
troerh at nj-onramp.com