[SPARCbook] color depth

d neal wise sparcbook at sunhelp.org
Mon Apr 2 04:17:58 CDT 2001

On Mon, 2 Apr 2001, Mike Adams wrote:

>   This is all that dmesg says:
>
> Apr 24 05:13
> SunOS Release 4.1.2 (SPARCBOOK) #1: Tue Aug 3 20:13:56 BST 1993
> Copyright (c) 1983-1991, Sun Microsystems, Inc.
> Copyright (c) 1991-1993, Tadpole Technology.
>
> Memory = 32768K
> Ethernet address = 0:0:83:a2:11:5
> WARNING: TOD clock not initialized -- CHECK AND RESET THE DATE!
>
> Happen to know how to reset the date in sunos? I tricked date -s and date
> 'timestring here' but neither worked.

I have a copy of 4.1.4 sitting on a shelf here but it's been 5+ years
since I've run SunOS. We did keep a server around for a while for NIS
server.

I get that CHECK AND RESET THE DATE business when I've had a machine off
for a while. It makes me think of dead RTC batteries but that could just
be a PC plight.

To set the date the date command can be used.

man date (that's a phone line I see advertised on late night TV here). But
in any case man date and see what it says. If you have no man pages you
can probably just type date -? and it should tell you what syntax to use
to set the clock. I'm not sure what year that machine's running in. I'm
curious what it will think of post-2k. Sun released patches for
4.1.4/4.1.3_U1 I think.

For some dmesg-type output try turning on some kind of debugging in
syslog.conf. like

*.debug				/var/log/debug.log

Touch whatever you call that file and then reboot. Rebooting then might
capture more bootup info. I'm flailing here. I'm sure someone will ride to
my rescue.

You should really try to get onto something more modern as there will be
loads of security holes in an OS that age. I hate saying that because
SunOS was a great operating system :)

regards,

neal
d neal wise - nwise at spy.net
SPY internetworking  -  will network for food
http://www.spy.net