[SPARCbook] Solaris 7 or 2.6?

Jerry Mendes mendes at socrates.Berkeley.EDU
Mon Sep 25 16:26:59 CDT 2000

--=====================_20911909==_.ALT

On 24 Sep 2000 20:27:02 -0500, Jonathan Eisch <jeisch at boku.net> wrote:

>To: sparcbook at sunhelp.org
>Subject: Re: [SPARCbook] Solaris 7 or 2.6?
>
>2.6 if you want to use it for anything.  that's the highest that you can
>run with publicly available patches and packages.

The above reply is a bit misleading.  Tadpole-RDA *does* sell Solaris 7
with necessary patches to run on the 3GX for something like $350.  And you
may be pushing the limits of the 1.2 GB hard drive as well.

But if you want access to patches at no charge, then the previous poster is
correct.

>-Jonathan
>
>Michael M Delaney wrote:
> >
> > Which Solaris version would it be better to use on a sparcbook 3GX, 7 or
> > 2.6?
> > Thanks,
> > Mike

>--__--__--
>
>Message: 3
>Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2000 09:33:57 +0100 (BST)
>From: Ian Spray <iws at tadpole.co.uk>
>To: sparcbook at sunhelp.org
>Subject: Re: [SPARCbook] boot failure
>

>On 24-Sep-00 Michael Lorenz wrote:
> >
> > I tried a few times - no success. maybe this affects only the Solaris
> > 2.5.1 method os resuming from partition 4 ?
> >
>I hope not !  It should work on 2.5.1, 2.6 amd 7 in exactly the same
>fashion - we spent a while making sure that the move from our Save & Resume
>to Sun's method didn't impact on normal user operation.
>

>--
>Ian Spray          :  Software Engineer     :  Tadpole-RDI
>iws at tadpole.co.uk  :  +44 (0) 1223 428 224  :  http://www.tadpole.com/
>

>--__--__--
>
>Message: 4
>Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2000 07:11:44 -0500
>From: Jonathan Eisch <jeisch at boku.net>
>To: sparcbook at sunhelp.org
>Subject: Re: [SPARCbook] boot failure
>
>It didn't work for me either.  I had to do an interactive boot, and
>change the kernel setting (the rest was correct at default).  And only
>then would it boot.  Try that.
>
>-Jonathan
>
>Ian Spray wrote:
> >
> > On 24-Sep-00 Michael Lorenz wrote:
> > >
> > > I tried a few times - no success. maybe this affects only the Solaris
> > > 2.5.1 method os resuming from partition 4 ?
> > >
> > I hope not !  It should work on 2.5.1, 2.6 amd 7 in exactly the same
> > fashion - we spent a while making sure that the move from our Save & Resume
> > to Sun's method didn't impact on normal user operation.
> >
> > --
> > Ian Spray          :  Software Engineer     :  Tadpole-RDI
> > iws at tadpole.co.uk  :  +44 (0) 1223 428 224  :  http://www.tadpole.com/

----------
Jerry Mendes, Principal Consultant           Voice: (415) 381-5500
DataComm Insights                            FAX:   (415) 381-5502
150 Seminary Drive                           Email:
mendes at datacomm-insights.com
Mill Valley, California  94941               http://www.datacomm-insights.com
--=====================_20911909==_.ALT

On 24 Sep 2000 20:27:02 -0500, Jonathan Eisch <jeisch at boku.net>
wrote:<br>
2.6 if you want to use it for anything.  that's the highest that you
can<br>
run with publicly available patches and packages.</blockquote><br>
The above reply is a bit misleading.  Tadpole-RDA *does* sell
Solaris 7 with necessary patches to run on the 3GX for something like
$350.  And you may be pushing the limits of the 1.2 GB hard drive as
well.<br>
But if you want access to patches at no charge, then the previous poster
is correct.<br>
Michael M Delaney wrote:<br>
> Which Solaris version would it be better to use on a sparcbook 3GX,
7 or<br>
> 2.6?<br>
> Thanks,<br>
> Mike<br>
--__--__--<br>
Message: 3<br>
> I tried a few times - no success. maybe this affects only the
Solaris<br>
> 2.5.1 method os resuming from partition 4 ?<br>
I hope not !  It should work on 2.5.1, 2.6 amd 7 in exactly the
same<br>
fashion - we spent a while making sure that the move from our Save &
Resume<br>
to Sun's method didn't impact on normal user operation.<br>
-- <br>
Ian Spray          :
Software Engineer     :  Tadpole-RDI<br>
iws at tadpole.co.uk  :  +44 (0) 1223 428 224  :
--__--__--<br>
Message: 4<br>
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2000 07:11:44 -0500<br>
From: Jonathan Eisch <jeisch at boku.net><br>
To: sparcbook at sunhelp.org<br>
It didn't work for me either.  I had to do an interactive boot,
and<br>
change the kernel setting (the rest was correct at default).  And
only<br>
then would it boot.  Try that.<br>
-Jonathan<br>
Ian Spray wrote:<br>
> On 24-Sep-00 Michael Lorenz wrote:<br>
> > I tried a few times - no success. maybe this affects only the
Solaris<br>
> > 2.5.1 method os resuming from partition 4 ?<br>
> I hope not !  It should work on 2.5.1, 2.6 amd 7 in exactly the
same<br>
> fashion - we spent a while making sure that the move from our Save
& Resume<br>
> to Sun's method didn't impact on normal user operation.<br>
> --<br>
> Ian Spray
:  Software Engineer     :
Tadpole-RDI<br>