[SPARCbook] Linux users???

Matthew Haas wedge at lightlink.com
Tue Oct 10 09:09:21 CDT 2000

On Mon, 9 Oct 2000, Thomas Roehr wrote:

> I am curious how many in the group are using Linux on their SparcBooks.

I originally gave Debian a shot on my 3GX, but *QUICKLY* switched to
NetBSD because of a rather complete lack of power management. In the long
run I wouldn't mind running Linux on my SPARCbook (when it gets necessary
support) in a dual/triple boot scenario along with NetBSD and SunOS...

But now, unless I missed some major announcement, Linux lacks power
management, PCMCIA, video support, modem, probably serial & ISDN support
for the SPARCbooks (due to proprietary stuff)... in fact, aside from
getting into text mode, it probably has decent sound support (as the sound
chip is the same type (I believe) as in the LX, which I readily enjoy
audio on under Linux).

I found NetBSD and OpenBSD to be VERY accomodating to the incoming Linux
user... originally being a Slackware Linux user, I felt very much at home
with these *BSDs.

 -    |||       Atari 8-bit!  Star Wars * SPARCbook 3GX * SUMMER!!    -
-     |||      400/800/XL/XE  Battlestar: Galactica * SPARC * Linux    -
- |  | | |  | 2600/5200/7800  NetBSD1.4.2 * StarTrek * Galaga * SCSI   -
 - ||  |  ||     Lynx/Jaguar  Star Raiders * Descent * Voltron * UNIX -