[SPARCbook] Tadpole drivers

Ken Hansen Ken.Hansen at ICTI-USA.com
Tue May 30 10:57:50 CDT 2000

BTW, I was also building up my tadpole this weekend, and I
found a few things of note for others to keep an eye out for:

	Three of the patches listed in Hugo's FAQ individually
	are more recent than the versions of them contained in
	the Tadpole Package Patch bundle - they are available
	from Tadpole directly through Hugo's links.

	Solaris 2.6 appears to be doing a great job of temp.
	control, the laptop appears to be running quite cool,
	I am testing it today by leaving it on all day and telneting
	in to it via my ADSL line (very cool!). My 3GX seems to
	run fine for hours on end (relatively idle) with just the
	back end propped up on the built-in feet in a cool, non-
	raised-floor home office (i.e. non-frigid)...

	Star Office appears to run fine, no real performance
	issues with 64 Meg RAM.

	The Solaris patch bundle (2.6_Recommended...) is over 40 Meg
	now, and two or three patches didn't install succesfully, but
	upon reviewing the available info onthe patches I wasn't too
	worried - should I have been?

Issues remaining:

	The built-in battery usage display (on the LCD) shows about 70%
	when the unit starts beeping and flashing the orange light, how
	do I sync-up the Tadpole and Solaris power monitors?

	Suggested browser - Hotjava *blows* and I am having trouble
	getting a recent Netscape browser from their website, any
	pointers? I plan on using the browser onthe built-in display,
	so usabilty in 800x600 is important.

	Ideal partition scheme for a 6.4 Gig HD? I am used to Linux
	and the "one big filesystem" way of things... The laptop will
	be used for general web access/etc. No real heavy use.

	The internal 14.4K modem works great (very reasonable for a
	local terminal session), how do I configure a PCMCIA modem?
	A pointer to a doc would be great!

	Any concerns for plugging in a monitor? Anything special I need
	to watch out for to enable dual display?

	How is the sound support - haven't really gotten to that yet?

	Anyone tried Doom on this yet?

	Pointers to fun programs/uses for these machines would be
	appreciated, as I only got this laptop as a plaything, but I want
	to set up some cool stuff for dinking-around...

Thanks in advance for any help you can give,

Ken

Ken Hansen ICTI
Ken.Hansen at icti-usa.com